The Shaw Group has grown brick by brick from its beginnings in 1861 as a small Hantsport, Nova Scotia clay and tile manufacturer. Known then as Robert Shaw’s Brick Works, this firm constructed a solid foundation from which to expand and grow by taking the brick — a building product as old as time, and developing new uses and additional users.
The last 150 years have seen many changes. Noting potential in related markets, the company, then known as L.E. Shaw Limited, seized opportunities to expand its ability to provide high quality products and services. Brick and concrete materials production was augmented by resource materials, real estate development, and transportation. To reflect growing diversity, L.E. Shaw Limited became The Shaw Group Limited in 1993. The company continues to demonstrate success through change, and also developing and refining an extensive stable of products and services based on today's needs.
The Shaw Group heads a variety of divisions, all sharing the common philosophy of providing quality and innovative solutions for its customers. The corporate plan is built on five objectives: increasing sales of existing products; development of new products; market area expansion; acquisition; and joint ventures. The plan is further shaped by the individual strengths of the divisions, their products, and people.